That Math Girl (Chapter 3)

Written by An Makes and Mei Makes.

 *Disclaimer*: This is a work of fiction. Some events may be based on real life, but some events are made up. For translations of the Chinese, see the Translation section at the very end.

 "Come on! Tell us the surprise. Are we going to get to go to Florida? I know everything about Florida.", Hayden said.


          ¹"Wo men yao qv ri ben. Ni men hui kan shu gong. Ta shi Ye Ye de di di.", ²Nai Nai said. (We are going to Japan. You guys are going to meet your grand uncle. He is grandpa's little brother.) "You guys can also cheer up from your dad's death…," Ye Ye said and then his voice trailed off.


           This is a cool surprise. I would have never in my lifetime guessed that I would ever get to go to Japan or anywhere else outside of America for that matter. I wonder if ³Ye Ye's younger brother will be nice and I wonder if there will be a scary thing. Scary things always seemed to happen when we left our little hometown of San Jose. I don't know why though. Maybe Ava knows because she always seems to know those kinds of things. 


          I soon started packing because Ye Ye had said that we were going to go to Japan on an airplane the next day. We had been sitting in the living room eating blueberry cake and discussing  more details of our trip to Japan. I packed my toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss. As you might have possibly noticed, Ye Ye is an inventor for our family. Ye Ye made my toothbrush and my mom had invented a really yummy and healthy toothpaste for all of us children. Ye Ye even made me pack our school books that Ye Ye had asked for. Ye Ye made us pack them because he wanted us to continue our learning in Japan. Ye Ye sure is quite active.


The next day, we woke up early and yawned our way to the airport. We had to wait a long time, but we finally arrived at the place where you board the plane. I saw lots of people who were dragging backpacks with wheels, while I had my heavy backpack over my shoulders. I also noticed that Ava and Austin had the suspicious, funny, and weird backpacks on wheels. They were dragging their backpacks on wheels and it kind of looked like they were barely touching it. It seemed like they were just navigating the weird thing and not actually holding it. That was weird. Why didn't I get them to.


"What are those weird, suspicious, and funny things that you are navigating and how did you get them?" I asked Ava. Isabella nodded and pointed at the backpack on wheels. "What? That?, Ava answered, pointing at her weird backpack on wheels. "That is my new high-tech suitcase. A suitcase is a big box with wheels so that you don't have to carry it. I only have to navigate it. Austin and I bought them a couple days ago. I used my money from programming on the internet and Austin “took out the turtle's poop” for Malachi." Isabella and I looked at each other as if to say "Whatever that means." 


“The plane is ready to board. Please, all seniors and their families come up to this desk, so we can start boarding the plane.” the woman at the front desk announced over the loudspeakers. We all stood in a cluster in front of the desk because Ye Ye and Nai Nai were both seniors and we were part of Ye Ye and Nai Nai’s family. The woman scanned in our slip and we walked down the thing that connects the airport and the plane. 


The connecting thing was very long and not very wide, so we could only walk with three people in a row. Hayden was first and the only one in that row because he kept jumping around and nobody wanted to be walking next to a jumping person. Ye Ye and Nai Nai went second, since they were the seniors. They would have been first but Hayden insisted on being first. Then the moms because they were the second oldest, best sisters, and best friends. Malachi and Austin were next. They were playing some weird word game. Finally, all of us girls (Ava, Isabella, and me) were just in front of this really old lady. 


We finally arrived in the plane and went to some seats. I sat next to Ava and Isabella. Ava sat in the seat next to the window seat because she was the one who got the most air sick. Isabella sat in the middle between me and Ava. I sat next to the middle row (next to Isabella) because I love eating snacks. The people in the middle row were my mom and my aunt. Both moms had all of the snacks. I have been teased because I am known to eat every snack that I can get my hands on (one of my faults). 


We soon all got cuddled in our seats. I watched a documentary on math because I love math. Math is even my favorite word. I suddenly heard a weird sound. At first I thought it was the plane that was making those sounds, but I soon figured out that it must be something else. I figured this out because it happened again and this time, it sounded more like the sound that your tummy makes when your tummy hurts. 


"Do you hear that sound?", Ava whispered, since Isabella was listening/watching a weird movie called "Lego Movie Two". "Yes. Is it you? Are you making that sound?" I whispered back. "No. Of course not." Ava whispered in response. "It's so loud that I think my ears are going to fall off." I whispered. "Oh. I think that my ears wouldn't fall off. I think I would just walk away and start listening to my podcasts.", Ava whispered. "I think that Isabella's tummy. Maybe the last little bag of mango will help her." I said, forgetting to whisper. Ava nodded and went back to some technology documentary. Ava loved technology just like I loved math. "What?", Isabella wrote. "Did I miss anything?" "Hey! Isabella, are you hungry? Your tummy is kind of loud. Do you want some dried mango. It tastes almost as good as the one Nai Nai and Ava makes." I said, handing the mango to Isabella. Isabella took it and soon finished, but there wasn't that much, so her tummy was still loud. I couldn't sleep, so I decided to watch another documentary on fractions, just for entertainment.


After awhile, I started to get hungry too. I made sounds but they were so quiet that nobody heard it besides me, unlike Isabella. Thankfully, a flight attendant came to ask us which meal we wanted to eat. The flight attendant had dark brown eyes and hair as black as black birds. She had her hair in a bun and a weird looking uniform. I choose the Asian meal because that is what Nai Nai usually makes. The meal was delicious and it reminded me of times at home eating in our dining room. 


After my very yummy dinner on the plane, I continued to do some more documentaries on math. I watched so many math documentaries that there weren't any documentaries for me to watch! I ended up playing a game that Malachi really liked, but it got really boring. I decided to try to go to sleep, since Isabella was not making sounds anymore. I was just about to fall asleep, when I heard a familiar and annoying sound coming from Austin. Austin made a moaning/groaning/crying noise whenever he was sleeping on a plane. I sighed. How would I ever sleep now??


Finally, Austin finished sleeping. I could now go to sleep! I quickly fell asleep and I had the most fascinating dream ever. This is a summary of my dream: In my dream, I was sitting in our house, eating peanut butter and blueberry jam sandwiches. What a luxury! Some people think that those kinds of sandwiches are the most boring thing ever. They get to eat them every day! Pure luxury. 


What a weird dream, but a very yummy one. I almost felt like an angel in my dream. I woke up and sighed. I wish I could eat some peanut butter and blueberry jam sandwiches. I sat there for a while, daydreaming about peanut butter and blueberry jam sandwiches. I then decided to watch cooking show documentaries because I liked to bake. They were at least more interesting than the game that Malachi liked.

           

“Hey Clara! Are you awake!?” 

I woke up with a start. Peering over her seat, there was Ava, really close to my face. To close for comfort. “Hey,” I said, “A little space please?” “Okay, fine,” Ava grudgingly agreed. “But, really, you were asleep, for, like an hour! I got so bored that I watched a documentary on how to wash the dishes the fastest."


I checked my watch. Only twenty minutes had passed! I frowned at Ava, and showed her my watch. She just looked at me and shrugged, saying, “It’s okay to exaggerate every once in a while!” And it was okay, it's just that, Ava, really Ava, doesn't really exaggerate. She always acts like a grown-up, as she calls it. And she says that exaggerating is for kids, not young adults. Maybe she was just really annoyed about the trip to Japan? She would miss all her friends, and all her clubs! Most of all, she would miss her “siblings” at the church service. (She volunteers  there ALL THE TIME.) I guess the change was a little hard on her.


Isabella’s snoring startled me out of my thoughts. Usually Isabella didn’t snore so loudly, but I guess she was just making a ton of loud sounds today. The sounds were just too much for me. As calm as I could, I plugged in the earbuds the flight attendant had given us, and I stuck them in my ears. It was so much better, I couldn’t hear a single thing! Hmm… what should I look at now? Suddenly, over the loudspeaker, I heard the captain's voice blast: “Hello I am The Captain of the airplane. We are going to land in approximately ten minutes. Please close all your devices, and make sure you are buckled in. Thank you for cooperating with BBC airlines! 


In the meantime, Ava, Isabella, and I, all played a game named "Coconut". We then just played a game that my dad made up, while eating the pretzels that the flight attendant had given us. We crunched on them very loudly. Loud sounds sure has been following me all of this flight.


About 11 minutes later, the airplane swooped down and landed in Japan. (The pilot was off by one minute. Ha! Ha! Ha!,)  We were finally at our destination.


We were in the back of the airplane because the seats we chose were there, so we were the last ones to go off the plane. We followed everybody down the airplane, then down the ramp. We were half-way down the ramp, when Hayden asked, “Can I go to the bathroom, mommy?”, Startling us all. “Okay, but you better be quick. I’ll come with you. The rest can wait at the bathrooms.” my aunt said. 


We all started walking to the bathroom, But halfway there Hayden cried, “The stuff is soaking my pants!"


Translations:

¹ We are going to Japan. You guys are going to meet your grand uncle. He is grandpa's little brother 

² Grandma.
³ Grandpa.

Come back later to read more of "That Math Girl" and don't forget to check out the rest of my blog!!!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Cheese-its

Origami Crane- Easy to Follow Tutorial

The Silent Girl (Chapter 24)